When selling your home it is imperative that you do everything you can to get your home show ready. It is your Realtors job to get your home sold for the most amount of money in the least amount of time but these are the top 11 tips that we share with all of our clients to help get their home sold fast!
- Deep clean your home! The condition of your home will directly affect the price we can sell your home for. It is also one of the first things buyers notice when walking into a home to buy. Make sure that the blinds, baseboards and windows are cleaned, shampoo any carpet, scrub the bathrooms and kitchen. Don’t forget to sell or donate any items that are not needed and clean out those closets and the garage. Home buyers want to see every inch of their dream home before putting in an offer.
- Declutter your home. This is a big one! We always tell our clients to make their home look like a hotel room. Have minimal things on the counters, organize the bathrooms and only keep items in drawers and cabinets that are used daily. Keep in mind that how you sell a home and how you live in a home are two completely different things. That is why our goal as Realtors is to sell your home for the most amount of money in the least amount of time with the least amount of hassle to you.
- Neutralizing your home can seem overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be. Buyers need to be able to visualize the home as their home, bold designs and loud paint colors are distracting and can hider the buyer from seeing the home as theirs. Fresh paint always looks very clean and gives a fresh vibe to the whole house. Pick a neutral paint color that is light and bright to make the home seem larger and more inviting. Keep neutral decor such as pillows, throws and candles to help with staging. One key thing is to pack away family photos and keepsakes but not all of your decor, keep some to help create an inviting environment.
- Make repairs first. Many of our clients will get a home inspection done prior to going active on the market so there are no surprises when we get to the inspection period with a buyer. Every home is going to have things come back on a home inspection that will need to be repaired. Cracked roof tiles, grading issues and missing anti siphon valves are the most common. Many of these things can be taken care of before a buyer puts an offer in and then you can rest easy knowing that the buyers home inspection will be a breeze!
- Having a breathtaking yard is a great selling point! If your backyard is slacking a little, don’t worry! Sprucing up your yard doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. Add some color to your yard with pots, flowers and pillows. Your goal is to create an entertainment area that buyers can envision spending their free time enjoying. If you have pets make sure that you pick up any droppings before showings. Yes it can be a pain to keep up on but there is nothing worse than walking into a backyard and getting a nose full of dog poo! Can you say mood killer?!
- Curb appeal is a buyers first impression. Make the front of your home shine with pride! Power wash the driveway, keep the lawn mowed and trim all of the plants and bushes. If your front yard needs a little pick me up, add some potted plants and flowers. Fresh paint on the exterior is always an eye catcher so if your home is looking a little drab don’t shy away from a fresh coat of paint.
- Once your home is on the market and you start having showings make sure and open all the blinds and turn on every light in the house. Yes I know…it can be a pain but trust us when we say that this little trick sells homes every day! Also, if you have large dogs it is best to have them removed for showings. We love dogs and you love dogs but many buyers will not be able to enjoy looking at your home if a mini horse is following them down the hallways.
- Pleasurable smells = SOLD! We often bring vanilla plugins with us when we meet with sellers to list their home. The first thing buyers notice when walking into a home is the cleanliness, the second thing is what the home smells like. Between pets, kids, cooking and every day life a plug in goes a long way. Most of the time we walk into homes, they don’t smell bad at all and we still offer the plug ins. This isn’t anything against the home, it will just appeal to the buyers that come through later.
- Staging can be an expensive word but it doesn’t have to be. We have a fantastic home stagging professional if you would like someone to come in and do everything for you but you can also stage your home with the help of your Realtor. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes to see the possibilities in a home, maybe moving a piece of furniture around or a piece of art can make all the difference.
- Pricing your home right the first time. This is very very VERY important! Your Realtor will go over the market conditions and talk to you about your goals and will let you know what the best strategy is for you. Pricing your home correctly can actually net you more money than starting high. The biggest thing we hear is “Lets start high because buyers are going to come in low and then we can negotiate.” This just isn’t true. A buyer is looking to buy a house and if they love something…check this out….THEY WILL ACTUALLY PAY MORE FOR IT! Especially if they think they might lose out on it.
- Hire a Realtor. I know all of you reading this just rolled your eyes but let me tell you why hiring a professional is important. We are professionals and we do this daily. Our job is to know the market, know the contracts, be negotiating beasts and to help our clients reach their real estate goals. There are so many little things that can go awry, time frames that legally need to be followed during a transaction and so much more. Statistics show that when hiring a Realtor, a seller will actually net 7%-11% more than trying to sell solo.
If you are curious about what your home is worth or if you are thinking of buying in the near future reach out to us! We would love to help you on your next adventure! ~Gina Kent The GK Group